Frequently Asked Questions


Emergencies: 9-1-1
(972) 771-7717 or (972) 771-7721
Administration: (972) 771-7714
Records: (972) 771-7725
Community Services: (972) 771-7765
Traffic citations: (972) 771-7788


What are your hours?
The Police Department is staffed 24 hours a day 7 days a week year round. However, administrative and support functions are typically available only during normal business hours Monday through Friday 8am-5pm.


Where are you located?
The Police Department is located in the Downtown area. Our mailing address is:

Rockwall Police Department

205 W. Rusk Street
Rockwall, Texas 75087

Can I file a police report over the phone?
Yes, in some cases, you may be able to make an initial report by phone. However, in most circumstances, a police officer may need to speak with you in person and/or possibly at the scene of the incident.


Once, I have filed a police report, can I get a copy of it?
Yes, most of the time you will be able to receive a report after it has been filed. For information related to obtaining a police report please visit the Police Records page. If there is a question as to whether or not the information can be released the report will be sent to the Texas Attorney General for an opinion. A fee of $0.10 per page is charged if the request exceeds 9 pages of printed material.


Can I get a copy of a call for service if the police respond, but no report was made?
Yes, a copy of the call for service is available upon request and the filing out of an open records request form. A fee of $0.10 per page is charged if the request exceeds 9 pages of printed material.


Do you investigate traffic accidents?
Yes, we do provide this service, when an involved party requests an investigation, the roadway is blocked, or when injury or death occurs. However, if all parties have left the scene or there are no injuries, it usually becomes the responsibility of those involved to report the accident to the Department of Public Safety in Austin (DPS) by filing a blue form that we can provide if you will come by the Police Department.


Can I get a copy of an accident report?
Yes, accident reports are submitted to DPS within 10 days of the occurrence. For information related to obtaining a copy of an accident report please visit the Police Records page.


I have locked my keys in my car. Will you unlock my car for me?
Yes. In some circumstances, we may be able to assist you. However, if your vehicle has power windows or electric locks, you should call a locksmith for assistance.


How and where can I pay a fine for a traffic citation?
Fines can be paid in person or by mail at:
City of Rockwall Municipal Court
2860 State Hwy 66
Rockwall, Texas 75087

Fines can be paid by cash, money order or credit card. Checks will not be accepted.


Will you fingerprint me for personal needs such as licenses or immigration?
Not at this time. We are unable to take fingerprints.

Can I get a criminal background check on myself?

Yes, Individuals may request a personal background check on themselves only after filing out an open records request form. The check is limited to the records of the City of Rockwall. The individual must possess and display a valid ID or DL in person. There is no fee for this service.


Can I get a criminal background check on somebody else?
NO. Requests for criminal history checks on a third party are not allowed. However, information is available on such a request through the State of Texas. This is only available to the individual or a representative of that individual. The State of Texas does charge a fee for the service and a set of fingerprints would have to be submitted.


How can I get information on jobs and current openings in the Police Department?
Jobs are listed on Rockwall Employment Opportunities...

How do I submit a commendation or file a complaint on a police officer?
The Rockwall Police Department welcomes and encourages your comments regarding our employees' service to you. If you would like to recognize an employee please provide the following information; the officer(s) involved and the details of the commendation. This information can be forwarded to: Rockwall Police Department, 205. W. Rusk Rockwall, Texas 75087. Your commendation will be placed in the employees' personnel file.

The Rockwall Police Department takes people's concerns seriously. We believe the public is entitled to efficient, fair and impartial service. We investigate all allegations of employee misconduct; respond to inquires about employee actions or department policy.

The Rockwall Police Department realizes that there will be complaints from time to time by individuals that come in contact with our officers. We realize that confusion, different perceptions or possibly timeliness of information could result in information that may produce different accounts of the same incident. These differences between citizens and officers need to be addressed. We trust that the vast majority of contacts between citizens and officers are conducted in a positive and professional manner. The relationship between the community and our officers is based on confidence and trust. We cannot be effective without both the community and our officers working together to achieve this goal.

The Texas Government Code requires that all complaints against police officers be in writing and signed by the person making the complaint.

However, be aware that should a citizen make a false complaint it is a violation of the Texas Penal Code. A person convicted could be punished by a fine and confinement in jail.

How Do I File a Complaint?
Upon receipt of a citizen's complaint, the Internal Affairs unit shall contact the complainant and advise them that the matter is under investigation, and that the complainant shall receive written notice of the final disposition of the case. The Internal Affairs unit shall advise the complainant of departmental procedures for the processing and investigation of citizen complaints.

Investigations of complaints shall be completed within a reasonable time period. Most complaints should be resolved within thirty (30) days of receipt. Regular status reports shall be filed on lengthy investigations.

The complaint will be classified based on the facts available. The classification is one of four findings:


  • Sustained - The allegation is true and action of the employee was inconsistent with Department rules and procedures.
  • Not Sustained - There is insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the allegation.
  • Unfounded - Incident did not occur, or affected employee was not involved.
  • Exonerated - The action complained of occurred, however, the conduct or action was lawful, proper, and in accordance with department rules and procedures.


If the allegations are sustained, appropriate action will be taken. The action may involve training, verbal or written reprimand, suspension from duty, or termination. You will receive a letter informing you of the findings.



You may file a complaint by downloading and filling out one of the forms below:

Racial Profiling Complaint Form

Personnel Complaint Form
You can send them by email, regular mail or file in person

Rockwall Police Department
205 West Rusk Street
Rockwall, Texas 75087
Map |



In an attempt to promote public safety and traffic awareness in your area, we have provided this easy to use electronic complaint form so you may advise us of any traffic concerns or safety problems in the city. 


Traffic Complaint Form